[NHCOLL-L:2657] Re: IATA and China

Gregory Watkins-Colwell gregory.watkins-colwell at yale.edu
Tue May 17 09:03:58 EDT 2005

Carla,

Yes.  I do have to indicate the contents when I do a FedEx shipment
online.  I call them "preserved biological materials for research".  I was
told once... hmm... I think by a FedEx person... that "specimen" scares
people.  Especially now-a-days people think of "specimen" as something with
a disease.

I am wondering if it would help at all to change the word "research" to the
word "study".  semantics is interesting!  On the other hand, I also wonder
if we are doing our own fields of science a dis-service by rewording things
in a way that causes fewer ripples.  I mean, these are specimens and they
are for research.  This is what we do.  This is what we are.  Grammatical
and syntax camouflage should not be necessary.  We are not the bad
guys.  The bad guys are the ones that phrase things in a way to hide them
(which, if deemed false, could be considered an act of smuggling).  But
then, they are not using a thesaurus to get other words that mean the same
thing.  They are doing stuff like, calling a crocodile handbag a baby doll
or something so it flags no inspection.

I did notice once when we had an expedition entering the U.S. from a field
site that materials that were preserved, as opposed to frozen, raised fewer
flags.  The concern being that a frozen tissue sample may still have viable
viral DNA and other fun things in it.  But the same tissue in some sort of
preservative wouldn't.  I suspect that this isn't entirely true and that
some viruses could survive some types of preservation (buffers for
example).  But I do know that USDA looked at the frozen materials longer
and harder than the stuff in alcohol.

Greg