[NHCOLL-L:2658] USFWS and 3-177 forms

James B. Ladonski jladonski at fieldmuseum.org
Wed May 18 15:27:42 EDT 2005

Hi everyone,

The recent comments on hazmat shipping led me to an off-list discussion
regarding the US Fish and Wildlife Service's regulations.  Specifically,
the topic was the enforcement policies of individual inspectors and offices
with respect to the 3-177 form (used to declare imports and exports for
wildlife, for those outside the US).  We file most of our 3-177s
electronically now ("eDecs"), and we've had several instances recently
where inspectors at our local office (Chicago) required us to bring the
packages to their office for physical inspection before they will clear the
3-177.  These cases all involved ethanol-preserved specimens, so those of
you familiar with such things can imagine the headache of transporting all
your loan-packing equipment (heat sealer, bags, ethanol, cheesecloth,
labels, peanuts, boxes, etc.) off-site in order to ship your specimens.  In
fact, this is what led to our discovery that FedEx will not ship dead
animals - we had to call to schedule a pickup because the boxes were being
sent from the USFWS office, not from the Museum.

I'm curious to know what experiences others have had, either with USFWS in
general or with 3-177s in particular.  It seems most people who work with
zoology collections in the US have had run-ins with inspectors at some
point, but I'm wondering if this is getting more common.  Feel free to
contact me off-list with comments, if you'd prefer.

Thanks,

Jamie

Mr. James B. Ladonski
Collection Assistant