[NHCOLL-L:2659] Re: USFWS and 3-177 forms

Brandy K. Jacobsen fnbkj at uaf.edu
Wed May 18 19:13:14 EDT 2005

Jamie,

We frequently ship ethanol preserved tissue samples and often need to
export samples out of the country.  We always take our shipments to the
local USFWS enforcement office for an inspection and to have the export
paperwork signed and stamped.  I have always been under the impression
that inspections were required for export (particularly when dealing
with CITES registered species).  We prepare the samples and the package
for shipping at the museum.  We do everything but seal the box here at
the museum.  We then take the unsealed box, and the paperwork to the
USFWS office, where the officers usually do no more than peek inside the
box, ask us what we are shipping, sign and stamp the paperwork and let
us leave with the box.  We then ship it as we see fit.  They ask to be
notified of any tracking number for the shipment (which usually we can
provide during the inspection - i.e. Fed Ex Way bill, or USPS insured
mail #).  Typically our specimens are tiny bits of tissues in vials, and
the officers can't tell what they are looking at - they are happy to
take our word for it.  I was not aware of the requirement that the
packages be shipped from the enforcement office (I wonder if this is
just a protocol at your Chicago office...?).  Our enforcement office
here knows us well and trusts us to do the job properly and follow the
regulations.

Good luck!

Brandy

--