[NHCOLL-L:2660] Re: USFWS and 3-177 forms

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Wed May 18 23:03:30 EDT 2005

>We file most of our 3-177s electronically now ("eDecs"), and we've
>had several instances recently where inspectors at our local office
>(Chicago) required us to bring the packages to their office for
>physical inspection before they will clear the 3-177.

This seems very odd, given that - according to the regs in the last
revision (which I have a copy of) - you have a 180 day grace period
to file a 3-177 form. It does NOT have to accompany a shipment. Just
ship your package, and file at your convenience. Since when did the
FWS start pretending the grace period doesn't exist? If Mike
Carpenter were here (I think he's on permit-l) he could probably tell
us for certain, but I've certainly not heard of them rescinding the
grace period (i.e., if a more recent revision has been snuck in below
the radar in the last few years).

Heck, I'll just crosspost this to permit-l, and see what it turns up.
I strongly suspect you're dealing with people who don't understand
how form 3-177 works.

Univ. of California - Riverside, Riverside, CA 92521-0314