[NHCOLL-L:3796] Exhibit fundamentals course online March 31

Helen Alten helen at collectioncare.org
Wed Mar 12 17:52:08 EDT 2008

MS106: Exhibit Fundamentals: Ideas to Installation
Instructor: Lin Nelson-Mayson
Dates: March 31 through May 9, 2008
Cost: $425
Location: www.museumclasses.org

Nearly every museum develops exhibits, but how
can we improve communication with visitors while
taking care of our objects? Exhibit Fundamentals
explores exhibits from idea to final installation
in a variety of settings. Topics include exhibit
theory, the role of the museum's mission,
creating a timeline, accessibility and script
writing. Also covered are design elements,
installation techniques, object safety and
security, visitor safety and evaluations. Each
student develops an exhibit plan for his or her museum.

Course Outline
1.      Introduction: Exhibition Theory and the Museums Mission
2.  Intellectual and Physical Accessibility & Exhibition Evaluations
3.  Creating a Timeline and Writing Texts
4.  The Role of Design Elements and Basic Installation Techniques
5.  Object and Visitor Safety
6.  Conclusion

Logistics:
Participants in Exhibit Fundamentals work at
their own pace through six sections and interact
through online chats. Instructor Lin
Nelson-Mayson is available at scheduled times
during the course for email support. Exhibit
Fundamentals includes online literature, slide
lectures and student-teacher/group-teacher
dialog. The course is limited to 20 participants.
Required texts are:
(1)     Lord, Barry and Gail Dexter. The Manual
of Museum Exhibits. Walnut Creek, CA: AltaMira
Press (A Division of Rowman and Littlefield Publishers, Inc), 2002.
(2)     Serrell, Beverly. Exhibit Labels: An
Interpretive Approach. Walnut Creek, CA: AltaMira Press, 1996.
(Both are good resources; if you don't have them
in your library, they can be ordered on line from
Alta Mira at http://www.altamirapress.com/)

Exhibit Fundamentals runs six weeks. Sign up at
www.museumclasses.org and pay for the course at
http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html. If
you have trouble completing an on-line order,
please contact Helen Alten at
helen at collectioncare.org or Eric Swanson at eric at collectioncare.org

The Instructor
Lin Nelson-Mayson, with over 25 years of museum
experience at small and large institutions, was
recently the director of ExhibitsUSA, a nonprofit
exhibition touring organization that annually
tours over 30 art and humanities exhibitions
across the country.  For five years, she was a
coordinator or judge for the American Association
of Museums’ Excellence in Exhibitions
Competition. She currently serves on the
exhibition committee for the National Sculpture
Society. Ms. Nelson-Mayson has extensive
experience with the planning, preparation,
research and installation of exhibitions. Ms
Nelson-Mayson’s experience includes teaching
museum studies and museology courses.  Her
particular interest is the needs of small
museums. She is now the director of the Goldstein
Gallery at the University of Minnesota.

Her credentials include the following;
Ÿ       An MFA from The Ohio State University in
sculpture and critical writing
Ÿ       A BFA from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio in painting.
Ÿ       Work as a curator for the Ross County
Historic Society (Chillicothe, Ohio), the Art
Museum of South Texas (Corpus Christi), the
Columbia Museum of Art (South Carolina), and the
Minnesota Museum of American Art.

Student Comments:

“The lectures were clearly written and
understandable, and the readings (Lord & Lord,
Serrell) were surprisingly readable!  The
Powerpoints provided a great summary for each
section
 I enjoyed the course thoroughly and
have gained some valuable (and somewhat sobering) insight. “

“Great teacher, Great technology, Great
peers/other students!  Enjoyable reading.  Very
helpful for now and in the future.  Great reading.  Great Text.
A++  and THANK YOU!!!”

“I liked having the content presented multiple
ways.  I read the lectures, viewed the Powerpoint
slides, and completed the readings.  With each
presentation of the materials I found I learned more.”

“The content could be adapted to a project we are
working on
 Rather than spending time planning
and working on an exhibit I would never complete
in my facility, I could instead focus on a dream
(a big dream) of an exhibit and actually apply
what I was learning to something that I will use in my museum.
The technology was quite easy to work with.  I
didn’t need help with the technology, but support seemed readily available.”

“I enjoyed hearing about plans, experiences and
challenges from professionals at other museums,
and getting their feedback  it was nice to have a
‘virtual community’ of people working on similar things.”

“The readings/assignments made me think about my
exhibit in ways I hadn’t. Made me realize that
there were more things to keep in mind than I
realized. I’ll be on the lookout for future
courses offered by NSCC. I feel like I really got my money’s worth from it.”