[Nhcoll-l] Fwd: Explore CCI's New Online Light Damage Calculator

Robert Waller rw at protectheritage.com
Sat Aug 11 10:02:02 EDT 2012

I agree with Helen though, in fairness to CCI, this is an early release
which includes only a small fraction of the colorants they hope to be able
to include over time.  As Helen says, the Blue Wool standards will be most
important to add.

Just as important, the old physical light damage slide rule is much better
for facilitating an intuitive grasp of varying the effects of colorant
sensitivity, light intensity and exposure duration.  In working within a
collection holding institution that is what we need most.  Hopefully, the
online version will be redesigned to recapture that most valuable aspect of
the slide rule.  In the meantime I don’t think anyone wants to retire their
physical slide rule yet - I think it remains one of the best tools CCI, and
even the whole conservation field, has ever produced.  That, in itself,
makes the physical slide rule a very tough act to follow up on!

Rob