[Nhcoll-l] 2D barcode printer for frozen tissue collection

Lars Erik Johannessen l.e.johannessen at nhm.uio.no
Wed Sep 11 02:38:02 EDT 2013

Andrew, Andy and others,

what do you know about the long-time ability of labels to stay on the
samples they are attached to?

At our museum we are also in a process of checking out various ways of
labelling samples, and have had some worries that labels may eventually
fall off. Do anyone have any good or bad experiences with this?

We are looking for labels for use both on paper envelopes/herbarium
sheets for room temperature storage, and on plastic tubes for frozen
(-20C, -80C) or cold (+4C) storage.

Currently we are using Brady thermal transfer labels for plastic tubes
stored both cold and frozen. This system is working well and we have not
had any problems so far with labels falling off, but then again our
experience is just spanning some few years...

Any advise on this issue would be most welcome, as the suppliers of
labels often focus most on their labels' abilities to cope with cold or
warm or liquid etc. environments, and not so much/at all on long-time
endurance...

Regards,
Lars Erik Johannessen

Dr. Lars Erik Johannessen
Head engineer
DNA Bank

Natural History Museum
Department of Technical and Scientific Conservation
University of Oslo
P.O. Box 1172 Blindern
NO-0318 Oslo, Norway
Phone: +47 22851801