[Nhcoll-l] Alcohol bottle trays

Margaret Thayer mthayer at fieldmuseum.org
Mon Jun 23 22:18:42 EDT 2014

The insect/arachnid/myriapod and other invertebrate collections at the
Field Museum have used aluminum trays for years to hold jars of various
sizes in our closed steel cabinets. The photo shows our standard 2 oz jars
(used mostly for 16,000+ bulk samples), but we also store half-liter French
jars in the trays and narrower but taller old Mason jars in a narrower
size. The main intention was simply improving access to jars in the back,
allowing us to have low clearance between the jar tops and the shelves. It
makes a huge difference in the efficiency of moving collections around.
 I'm not aware that we ever had any issues with the fire marshal about
them. (Jars sitting on top of jars is NOT part of the storage system! I
took the photo years ago for a talk about the contents of the jars.)

Margaret

[image: Inline image 1]

Margaret K. Thayer, Ph.D.        mthayer at fieldmuseum.org
Curator Emeritus, ​Field Museum of Natural History <http://fieldmuseum.org/>
​Lecturer, Committee on Evolutionary Biology, University of Chicago
Fieldiana <http://fieldmuseum.org/explore/department/publications/fieldiana>
 Life and Earth Sciences - Associate Editor (Zoology)
1400 South Lake Shore Drive
Chicago IL 60605-2496, USA
PHONE: +1-312-665-7741 (direct)    FAX: +1-312-665-7754
FMNH personal web page <http://fieldmuseum.org/users/margaret-thayer>
   Austral
Staphylinidae & Staphyliniformia databases
<http://archive.fieldmuseum.org/peet_staph/>
Beetle Tree of Life project <http://insects.oeb.harvard.edu/ATOL/index.htm>
          FMNH Insects collection database
<http://emuweb.fieldmuseum.org/arthropod/Query.php>

Support Field Museum science at:  fieldmuseum.org/donatescience
<http://www.fieldmuseum.org/donatescience>