[Nhcoll-l] freezing amber

Paul Nash cedarsap at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 28 22:08:40 EDT 2014

Hi Jean,

Freezing amber is a bad idea.  Amber pieces often contain bubbles of liquid.  Because water expands when frozen, freezing and thawing amber will likely crack and damage pieces along with their arthropod inclusions. It is even possible for inclusions themselves to contain liquid. And due to the chemical nature of fossil resins (as natural polymers), freezing and thawing could have other deleterious effects. In fact, it is a general rule that significant temperature fluctuations will compromise amber specimens over time.

I've attached a paper on deterioration in fossil resins that addresses conservation protocols. Hope this helps, and please feel free to contact me if you have further questions.

Regards, Paul

P.C. Nascimbene
Paleoentomological Research and Collections
Division of Invertebrate Zoology
American Museum of Natural History
79th Street at Central Park West
New York, NY 10024      USA