[Nhcoll-l] freezing amber

Anderson, Gretchen AndersonG at CarnegieMNH.Org
Sat Mar 29 10:25:00 EDT 2014

Jean-
I agree with Paul, freezing amber is generally a bad idea.  My question to you is why are the entomologists freezing amber?  If it standard protocol for pest control, they need to understand that specimens that are not sensitive to pest damage, such as amber, do not need to be frozen.  It could cause damage, and it is also a waste of resources (time and money). Freezing resins can be done safely (double bagging etc) but why do it if you don't have to.

I suggest that the protocols be adapted to make amber the exception rather than the rule.

Good luck!
Gretchen

Paul, - thanks for the article!

________________________________
From: nhcoll-l-bounces at mailman.yale.edu [nhcoll-l-bounces at mailman.yale.edu] on behalf of Paul Nash [cedarsap at yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2014 10:08 PM
To: Demouthe, Jean; nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu
Cc: Dave
Subject: Re: [Nhcoll-l] freezing amber

        This message's contents have been archived by the Barracuda Message Archiver.
                ATT00001.txt<https://archive.carnegiemuseums.org/cgi-mod/getstubbedattachment.cgi/ATT00001.txt?charset=utf-8&cid=5A715894C8EB0547AFD6AA385F0C5161%40CarnegieMuseums.Org&delivery=1396077020&len=538&md5=42f8e073aab23b0344168ae3417c130b&mid=5008c8d701162a08243f52497e62de5550d237c64726e415b7a6b9fc7b79306acb2d2724> (538B)
                Variation in the Deterioration of Fossil Resinsand Implications for the Conservation of Fossils in Amber.2012- nascimbene.pdf<https://archive.carnegiemuseums.org/cgi-mod/getstubbedattachment.cgi/Variation%20in%20the%20Deterioration%20of%20Fossil%20Resinsand%20Implications%20for%20the%20Conservation%20of%20Fossils%20in%20Amber.2012-%20nascimbene.pdf?charset=utf-8&cid=132AA9E743E85244AEAA72492B325585%40CarnegieMuseums.Org&delivery=1396077020&len=602359&md5=18b150484c0b0ff38fa8e9fbf1b2f279&mid=5008c8d701162a08243f52497e62de5550d237c64726e415b7a6b9fc7b79306acb2d2724> (588.2K)
Hi Jean,

Freezing amber is a bad idea.  Amber pieces often contain bubbles of liquid.  Because water expands when frozen, freezing and thawing amber will likely crack and damage pieces along with their arthropod inclusions. It is even possible for inclusions themselves to contain liquid. And due to the chemical nature of fossil resins (as natural polymers), freezing and thawing could have other deleterious effects. In fact, it is a general rule that significant temperature fluctuations will compromise amber specimens over time.

I've attached a paper on deterioration in fossil resins that addresses conservation protocols. Hope this helps, and please feel free to contact me if you have further questions.

Regards, Paul

P.C. Nascimbene
Paleoentomological Research and Collections
Division of Invertebrate Zoology
American Museum of Natural History
79th Street at Central Park West
New York, NY 10024 USA