[Nhcoll-l] Tissue subsampling scissors

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Wed Jun 10 03:19:00 EDT 2015

Hi Andy,

as we only have -80°C storage but not cryo (liquid nitrogen storage), I
cannot comment on the scissors performance per se, but perhaps add a
thought on "contamination"

For us fish folks, but also for all people working with slimy,
mucus-rich critters, the mucus (or body fluids in case of fresh
[muscular] tissue samples) is probably No. 1 contaminant, which -
however - may already sit inside your storage fluid and inside your tube
because of original contamination issues in the field. Using the same
scissors - even if you clean them you can't dry them completely,
condensation on the cold scissors might add to this problem - and
immerge the same instrument into a couple of fluid filled tubes seems to
be the higher contamination risk. Therefore, we prefer to remove the
tissue, putting it on a neutral surface (which is tossed away after
usage) and to cut it preferably with a scalpel blade.

The second and much more immanent and critical contamination risk occurs
during extraction (and thus is completely independent of tissue
subsampling), especially when using extraction kits with silica-column
systems that do have strongly foam building washing buffers. Normally,
washing steps are done with larger volumes, and - working at plate scale
- with an electronic multichannel pipette. I have seen folks that not
only did not care about the sipping and supping foam building up inside
and outside the wells, but wondering why they do have contaminations.
The similar applies, if pipettes are shared in and among working groups
with one person causing an undetected aerosol contamination inside the
pipette.

If your tissue template used for extraction is sufficiently large, there
should be no contamination issue (unless your the DNA of your template
is completely degraded and/or the DNA yield fairly small), as the DNA of
the template will always outnumber potential strains. But fluid transfer
and contamination of DNA molecules dissolved to it may be the much
higher risk.

Hope this helps even though it does not directly answer your original
question.

Dirk

Am 09.06.2015 um 18:27 schrieb Bentley, Andrew Charles:

> [...]
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.medicalresources.com_shopping_proddisplay.asp-3Fcatalogid-3D18330&d=AwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=C7oi9eL59c5PGDdHf0MB3g3q4eUFmO9hdpkEx5BuH7I&s=OzMc0KqdMgsOSABtBmQTkAfi0Tp7LWoesxxDz5VVcdM&e=
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.medicalresources.com_shopping_proddisplay.asp-3Fcatalogid-3D18330&d=AwMFAw&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=YH6kgdVNvngaC4BvStezXfuEIUtApvrk-vEQfUz0Y1M&s=hvDxlayAy9zEc7ZCtwus8kvPYWZbParjjK-l_WuSmdw&e=>
> – which are purported to be six times more durable than regular
> stainless steel varieties.  They are however VERY expensive and so,
> before diving in I thought I would ask around to see what others are
> using.

> Andy
>
>     A  :             A  :             A  :
>  }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
>     V                V                V
> Andy Bentley
> Ichthyology Collection Manager
> University of Kansas
> Biodiversity Institute
>
> Dyche Hall
> 1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
> Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561
> USA
>
> Tel: (785) 864-3863
> Fax: (785) 864-5335
> Email: abentley at ku.edu <mailto:abentley at ku.edu>
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu&d=AwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=C7oi9eL59c5PGDdHf0MB3g3q4eUFmO9hdpkEx5BuH7I&s=IfY77wSFoY_CjLQuRSfwfaR3NlPA6aPIwW-NK8xTEk8&e=
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu_&d=AwMFAw&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=YH6kgdVNvngaC4BvStezXfuEIUtApvrk-vEQfUz0Y1M&s=Bqu7wN4vr5Db4okSolzNRd9YpasDvLtpDPVi9VucDrw&e=>
>
> SPNHC President
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org&d=AwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=C7oi9eL59c5PGDdHf0MB3g3q4eUFmO9hdpkEx5BuH7I&s=rWcL8hKEs45vbsaw43Fj3_bB2D6EcuxrAt8s8XXHxks&e=
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org_&d=AwMFAw&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=YH6kgdVNvngaC4BvStezXfuEIUtApvrk-vEQfUz0Y1M&s=MzrN-vtPKotJ2jD6e4eSRzNLVIlUqZmDJrwSj2kp1pw&e=>
>
>                            : :
>     A  :             A  :             A  :
>  }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
>     V                V                V

> society. See https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org&d=AwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=C7oi9eL59c5PGDdHf0MB3g3q4eUFmO9hdpkEx5BuH7I&s=rWcL8hKEs45vbsaw43Fj3_bB2D6EcuxrAt8s8XXHxks&e=  for membership information.

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.zsm.mwn.de_ich_&d=AwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=C7oi9eL59c5PGDdHf0MB3g3q4eUFmO9hdpkEx5BuH7I&s=YYeYglkAo-5DqooClG-brmuB1gWc63bWS6xfXkZLcSE&e=

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at: