[Nhcoll-l] Inquiry about polycarbonate pails and glass pickle jars for fluid-preserved specimens

John E Simmons simmons.johne at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 10:09:36 EDT 2015

Curtis,
Thanks for the information on the lids. I have not seen these before but I
agree with Andy, looks like a great lid.

The only problems I can see are those for any HDPE bucket (which are easy
to deal with from a management point of view), which are that HDPE is UV
sensitive so you want to make sure that buckets exposed to UV (especially
if they are used in the field) are very closely monitored for evidence of
cracking, and HDPE is not as resistant to oxygen penetration as steel or
glass (this is probably a very minor issue considering that we open an
close the containers all the time). And of course round containers is not
as efficient a use of space as rectangular containers.

Given the price differential between steel and HDPE, these look like a very
good alternative. Thanks for providing the information on the lids and your
record of 12 years experience with them. I suspect these probably seal
better than many steel tanks do.

--John

John E. Simmons
Museologica
128 E. Burnside Street
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania 16823-2010
simmons.johne at gmail.com
303-681-5708
www.museologica.com
and
Adjunct Curator of Collections
Earth and Mineral Science Museum & Art Gallery
Penn State University
University Park, Pennsylvania
and
Instructor, Museum Studies