[Nhcoll-l] Tie on tags

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Mon Mar 30 03:09:00 EDT 2015

Hi all,

DYMO tags should be used with larger specimens only; the rigid plastic
and the plastic string physically damage smaller specimens (sitting in
smaller containers). It might be an option to use & punch the Tyvek
"paper" Andy Bentley repeatedly recommended, in combination with a high
quality ribbon (maybe it is worth to avoid plastic here, which might
detach at some point or might fail because of the ageing of the
plastic). Also, Tyvek is not that rigid compared to DYMO, and (maybe
most important) does not release any adhesives. We had a large shark and
stingray collected tagged with DYMO tags in the early 1970ies, and most
tags are hardly readable (even though the imprinting is still "there",
you can hardly recognise it because of ageing and secondary reactions
[sharks have been sitting in old benzine barrels for some time with
residual benzine in it, released oils also had negative effects on the
tags, some tags were torn off, etc.)

In Echinoderms it should work to knot the ribbon around one of the
radial limbs (at least in star fish) rather than punching them; in major
fish sitting in larger tanks tags could be applied below the gill cover
or anchored inside the mouth or the between the gills. This might be the
safe option compared to (comparatively small) specimen labels that can
easily tear off specimens.

Maybe this points into the right direction ....

All the best
Dirk

Am 28.03.2015 um 02:45 schrieb Andrew Stewart:

> Hi Cathy,
>
> Some years ago we experimented with paper tags with a brass eyelet and
> found the metal corroded quite badly so gave that away. For the past
> 30+ years we have been using plastic dymo strips (9 mm wide); either
> black or green.  Do */_NOT_/* use blue as the dye is alcohol soluble
> and becomes very difficult to read. The biggest issue we’re facing now
> is that it’s getting harder to buy the tape.
>
> Attachment is either by plastic tags in a denison gun or using waxed
> linen thread and a needle. No disassociation issues except where the
> plastic tag hasn’t been securely punched through the specimen, but we
> always give it a wee pull before finishing with the specimen.
>
> Good luck
>
> Andrew
>
> >><<<)o>
>
> Collection Manager: Vertebrates.
>
> Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongerewa

> 027 7339363

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.zsm.mwn.de_ich_&d=AwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=9gw0PKVo5hPKED-tu_XQTvHRYX7GMWjvVWAMNUodCdE&s=f6CsVRmMus_2haxQjERAeAgJabBBZbbGn_EUBdgo7wE&e=

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at: