[Nhcoll-l] FW: REPOST: New law regarding collecting and collections in Germany

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Wed Nov 11 05:48:35 EST 2015

Hi Christian,

perfect summary!

The key question - as you said - is "valuable collection" goods.
(without wanting to re-fuel the heated debating on putting a price on
collections).

The other point - which will be more crucial for us & as detailed in my
other email - is import checks. I addressed this to Mike Reich & his
working group. We already discussed this informally within our
administration, as Mike also belongs to "our" decentralised collections
united under the umbrella of the Bavarian Natural History Collections
(SNSB), he is a colleague of mine (even though I haven't met him in
person yet)

All the best
Dirk

Am 11.11.2015 um 10:14 schrieb Christian Baars:

> [...]
>
> already difficult to export into non-European countries, but the
>
> regulations are now stricter. As a general rule, the export of objects on
>
> the "national register of objects of national importance", which are less
>
> than 70 years old and more valuable (in monetary terms) than 300.000
> Euros,
>
> will require the approval of the culture minister.
>
> The law covers primarily art and archaeological objects (the financial
>
> value limits of different object classes differ somewhat, so the above is
>
> just a general rule). My own cynical view is that, once again, culture is
>
> equated with paintings and sculptures. However, going into the text of the
>
> law
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.bundesregierung.de_Webs_Breg_DE_Bundesregierung_BeauftragtefuerKulturundMedien_kultur_kulturgutschutz_-5Fnode.html&d=AwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=LNJfTxacgRicNJqcpbrB7U6bbt4Ogk3zz9TFCWaUY5o&s=hoH9V4bnKXog5dwuZ6xU31H5rDDIWQHQzWDT3_x2F2Y&e=
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.bundesregierung.de_Webs_Breg_DE_Bundesregierung_BeauftragtefuerKulturundMedien_kultur_kulturgutschutz_-5Fnode.html&d=AwMFAw&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=p1phI-xxHE7G7aLFEoVPeyovfrUColYcIsodKkKM46U&s=SwzoIuIBfuqXSzHpX9mh91WJAo4LUy0x7a2kat8xyqk&e=>,
>

> on page 81 there is a an explanatory note to paragraph 7/2 which may be of
>
> relevance to natural science museums: some objects are regarded in the
>
> context of an entire collection, particularly books, natural science
>
> collections and archives, when being valued. In the example given, this
>
> means that a collection of beetles may be regarded as a single object,
> even
>
> if an individual specimen would not be regarded worthy of inclusion in the
>
> national register. However, this assumes that someone decided a particular
>
> collection should be included in the national register, which involves a
>
> procedure and assessment by a commission (well, we are talking Germany
>
> here...).
>
> The people who have been most vociferously opposing it are art collectors
>
> who are concerned about a drop in value of their collections; the logic is
>
> that if the market for the paintings is now restricted to Germany, rather
>
> than all of Europe, in essence a limited market, there is less likelihood
>
> of fetching a price as high as at auctions in London.
>
> In my interpretation of the law (as far as I have read it) and the debate
>
> around its implementation, there is nothing to suggest that private
>
> collections will be illegal, or that trade shows will be made impossible.
>
> On the contrary, it appears a very sensible and timely update of a
> piece of
>
> legislation that had already been around for 60 years.

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.zsm.mwn.de_ich_&d=AwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=LNJfTxacgRicNJqcpbrB7U6bbt4Ogk3zz9TFCWaUY5o&s=-z5_s8vQgvvyVfHAFh-L66Noqt2h9_5wcge-RpK5gfg&e=

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at: