[Nhcoll-l] photo vouchering and tissues questions

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Tue May 1 09:43:03 EDT 2018

Hi Kirsten

Here at KU ichthyology we have a number of tissues that have photo vouchers.  We do not have any written policies regarding this but our general policy for collectors is to use photo vouchers only as a last resort.  Obviously a physical voucher is our preference for validation of species ID after the fact but we are also cognizant of the fact that in certain circumstances photo vouchers are necessary e.g. fish market specimens or other scenarios where the specimen cannot be collected or brought back.

In terms of acknowledging collectors in publication, this is not the norm.  In terms of our accession policy, collectors sign over all rights to material they have collected when they sign a Deed of Gift to the Biodiversity Institute once returning as part of accessioning the material into our collections.  A copy of our Deed of Gift policy is attached as is our tissue gift policy that outlines correct citation of material in publication.  I have also attached our tissue collection protocol that addresses vouchers to some degree.

Hope this helps

Andy
    A  :             A  :             A  :
 }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
    V                V                V
Andy Bentley
Ichthyology Collection Manager
University of Kansas
Biodiversity Institute
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard<x-apple-data-detectors://9>
Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561<x-apple-data-detectors://9>
USA<x-apple-data-detectors://9>

Tel: (785) 864-3863<tel:%28785%29%20864-3863>
Fax: (785) 864-5335<tel:%28785%29%20864-5335>
Email: abentley at ku.edu<mailto:abentley at ku.edu>
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu&d=DwIGaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=wznJ1g1f4FK2eCSi_0bsvpBQYKTjpdbOUNfTO0h0hqQ&s=mA5IMLr0_qpvm3DhpJWFuvFhEDYVMmREG8Odojd16ck&e=<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu_&d=DwIGaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=wznJ1g1f4FK2eCSi_0bsvpBQYKTjpdbOUNfTO0h0hqQ&s=z3U6qxgcMlntBLxUwAv-BP9wVeOpGs508zMcvKnaxBc&e=>
    A  :             A  :             A  :
    V                V                V