[Nhcoll-l] Natural history museum controversies?

William Poly wpoly at calacademy.org
Wed Oct 14 16:58:03 EDT 2020

Hi Derek,

See the stories of Colonel Richard Meinertzhagen, who had been in the
British military in Africa and India and also was an ornithologist.  It
turned out he also committed much fraud concerning some of his published
bird records -- he'd steal specimens from museum collections and relabel
them as his own.  I can send some specific literature references if you
like.

Bill

*William J. Poly*

*Research Associate*

*Department of Ichthyology*

*California Academy of Sciences*

*55 Music Concourse Drive, Golden Gate Park*

*San Francisco, California 94118*

*wpoly at calacademy.org <wpoly at calacademy.org>*

*https://www.calacademy.org/scientists/ichthyology/wpoly