[Nhcoll-l] Natural history museum controversies?

Haff, Tonya (NCMI, Crace) Tonya.Haff at csiro.au
Wed Oct 14 17:36:18 EDT 2020

Very interesting thread, and I also second, third, or 10th what Sarah had to say.

Chris Filardi's collecting of a Moustached Kingfisher also came to mind, though it's only published in Audubon and not a peer reviewed journal, and it was a controversy about collecting, not collections.  https://www.audubon.org/news/why-i-collected-moustached-kingfisher
[https://nas-national-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/styles/hero_mobile/s3/800px-actenoidesbougainvilleikeulemans.jpg?itok=NchgIeta]<https://www.audubon.org/news/why-i-collected-moustached-kingfisher>
Why I Collected a Moustached Kingfisher | Audubon<https://www.audubon.org/news/why-i-collected-moustached-kingfisher>
Editor's Note: Last week, we published a story detailing how researchers in Guadalcanal had found and photographed the first male Moustached Kingfisher ever recorded, then euthanized the individual bird to preserve as part of the scientific record. Many readers expressed concern at the specimen collection, so we reached out to the researcher, who explains his decision below.
www.audubon.org

There are very good reasons to still collect, but I find that the general public opinion is still quite negative, due in large part misunderstandings and preconceptions. In addition, there is often great reluctance to get in front of such potential controversy to reframe in the public perception of what collecting is today. Anyway, this is probably tangential from what you asked for Derek!

Cheers,

Tonya