[Nhcoll-l] Advice on partial fish voucher options

Katrina Derieg kderieg at nhmu.utah.edu
Wed Jun 2 12:18:30 EDT 2021

Hi Folks,
I’m not a fish person, but I just want to throw my two cents in regarding genetic barcoding. I would caution against IDing a specimen based on a mitochondrial locus, since the mitochondrial and nuclear genomes may have different and conflicting evolutionary histories. But if you have tissues, you can always go back with new genomic tech/knowledge, which is great!
-Katrina

Katrina Derieg
Vertebrate Zoology Collections Manager
Natural History Museum of Utah (UMNH)