[Nhcoll-l] Fluid preservation jar lids

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Tue Aug 16 13:06:02 EDT 2022

Joosep

We have been using a polyester fiber fill (https://www.amazon.com/Fairfield-Poly-Premium-Fiber-32-Ounce/dp/B004ALQ0M2) for small tubes in our various collections for some time.  Cork and rubber break down over time in contact with ethanol and should be avoided.  It has the advantage of not wadding up like cotton wool does while providing a porous barrier for exchange of alcohol and being inert and not affected by alcohol or formalin over time.  It is very inexpensive and available at most hobby or craft stores or online.

Hope that helps

Andy
    A  :             A  :             A  :
 }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
    V                V                V
Andy Bentley
Ichthyology Collection Manager
University of Kansas
Biodiversity Institute
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard<x-apple-data-detectors://9/>
Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561<x-apple-data-detectors://9/>
USA<x-apple-data-detectors://9/>

Tel: (785) 864-3863<tel:%28785%29%20864-3863>
Fax: (785) 864-5335<tel:%28785%29%20864-5335>
Email: abentley at ku.edu<mailto:abentley at ku.edu>
ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3093-1258
http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu<http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu/>
    A  :             A  :             A  :