[Nhcoll-l] thoughts on "Pyrite Stop" product?

Baars, Christian Christian.Baars at liverpoolmuseums.org.uk
Thu Feb 3 12:46:32 EST 2022

Hi Dee,

I had not yet heard of this product but it appears to be ethanolamine thioglycolate which is based on a treatment described by Lorraine Cornish (please see reference attached). This treatment is still in use today, although alternatives exist (e.g., ammonia - please see ammonite treatment paper attached).

In this context a new publication (also attached) may provide some answers on preventing damage to mineral and other geological specimens to avoid having to subject them to treatment - although this won't save them from historic damage of course, nor resolve the issues you mention if environmental control is not currently ideal. But treating specimens and then placing them in the same poor environments has considerable resource implications.

Best regards
Christian

Dr Christian Baars AMA ACR
Head of Collections Care

National Museums Liverpool
Conservation Centre
Midland Railway Building
1 Peter Street
Liverpool L1 6BL
Telephone: 07738 056638

My working hours may differ from yours. Please do not feel obliged to reply outside of your normal work schedule.

Dr Christian Baars
Baars, Christian
Head of Collections Care
Collections Care
0151 478

liverpoolmuseums.org.uk
@nml_muse
Find out What's On, discover more about our Venues, explore our extraordinary Collections, browse our online Shop, and read the latest Stories.
Baars, Christian
Now more than ever, your support makes a real difference. Please consider making a donation online or in-person when visiting our venues.
National Museums Liverpool (NML) is regulated by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS). Our Registered Office is World Museum, William Brown Street, Liverpool L3 8EN.

See our Privacy Policy for information about our responsibiity as a data controller, whether we store data on you, how this is being used and/or to make request access.
​
​Please note that any information sent, received or held by National Museums Liverpool (NML) may be disclosed under the Freedom of Information Act 2000. This email does not conclude a binding agreement. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of NML. Although NML routinely screens for viruses, recipients should scan this email and any attachments for viruses. NML makes no representation or warranty that this email or any of its attachments are free of viruses or defects and does not accept any responsibility for any damage caused by any virus or defect transmitted by this email. As part of conducting its business, NML may monitor and record emails and their contents passing through their network under the Telecommunications (Lawful Business Practices) and (Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000.