Monarchs and such

Roy Zartarian rzartarian at snet.net
Wed Oct 3 17:35:23 EDT 2001

So that's where "my" Newington monarchs ended up :-)  After more
than a week of at least a dozen on my buddleia, the last two days
have seen only one or two monarchs at any one time along with a
couple of red admirals - one fairly fresh, the other a bit ragged.

Yesterday was truly a change of season day with the year's first
yard sighting of white throated sparrows in the morning and two
monarchs nectaring at midday.

I, too, was trying a different macro setup a week ago, planning to
finish some film on the monarchs.  However, the plan changed
when I discovered a ruby throated hummingbird - a yard first -
perched inside the butterfly bush.  Fortunately, even though an
extension tube had been added to the lens, the distance to the
subject was such that I was able to get at least one useable image.

Roy