A Black Light First

Steve Walter swalter15 at verizon.net
Fri Nov 11 09:12:54 EST 2011

In hundreds of nights of putting up black lights, they've attracted (or at
least had in the vicinity) moths of course, butterflies, beetles, bugs,
dragonflies, damselflies, Dobson flies, ichneumons, katydids, flies and a
host of other insects, frogs and toads, and even a snake or two. I'm pretty
sure this was breaking new ground last night when a mouse ran under my black
light, which was propped up on a baseboard on a wall of the Jamaica Bay
visitor center.

And oh, I did get moths. Just 11 species, but nice to see some live moths
before it gets too late. I hadn't been out since October 10, which is much
too early to end a season. The highlight was a Trembling Sallow, nearly
three weeks later than my previous late date. The others were common,
multi-brooded species that don't seem to quit as long as there's any mild
weather. If you wonder what such species are - Ailanthus Webworm Moth, Plume
Moth, Celery Leaftier Moth, The Gem, Common Pug (Eupithecia), Green
Cloverworm Moth, The Wedgeling, Armyworm Moth, Ipsilon Dart, and Green
Cutworm Moth.

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY