[EAS]IG Nobel Prizes

pjk peter.kindlmann at yale.edu
Thu Oct 19 02:08:07 EDT 2000

Subject:   IG Nobel Prizes

(from TOURBUS - 17 Oct 2000)

magazine Annals of Improbable Research, are intended to celebrate
the unusual, honor the imaginative, and take a good-natured poke at
some remarkably goofy things done in the name of science.

http://www.improbable.com/ig

This year's winners were announced earlier this month and included
a study "On the Comparative Palatability of Some Dry-Season
Tadpoles from Costa Rica", software that detects when a cat is
walking across your computer keyboard, and a report "The Collapse
of Toilets in Glasgow."

There are many gems there. I'm particularly fond of the Ig award
for Psychology, to

> David Dunning of Cornell University and Justin Kreuger of the
> University of Illinois, for their modest report, "Unskilled and
> Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own
> Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments." [Published in the
> Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol. 77, no. 6,
> December 1999, pp. 1121-34.]

Indeed an important topic, but I'm just too old-fashioned to be
content with seeing every shortcoming the world confronts us with,
lack of humility in this case, become a cheerful professional
pursuit. Better perhaps to do epidemiological studies of
incompetence, its spread, distribution and, it is to be hoped,
control.

   --PJK