[EAS]New NTIS Database

pjk pjk at design.eng.yale.edu
Sat Sep 29 21:08:26 EDT 2001

Subject:   New NTIS Database

(from CIT INFOBITS -- September 2001)

ONLINE DATABASE OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY RESOURCES

The National Technical Information Service (NTIS) has created the
SciTechResources.gov database to provide one-stop, searchable
access to key U.S. Government science and technology resources.
Websites selected for the database provide links to government
expertise, services, laboratories, information centers, and other
important resources. Included on the website are links to computer
software; federal laboratories; information centers; online
databases; and sources of images, photographs, publications,
reports, and data. The site is at http://www.scitechresources.gov/

NTIS is part of the U.S. Department of Commerce. It serves as the
central resource for U.S. government-funded scientific, technical,
engineering, and business related information. NTIS provides
businesses, universities, and the public access to well over 2
million publications covering over 350 subject areas. For more
information link to http://www.ntis.gov/

Dear Colleagues -

Ever since I started using professional databases with a DIALOG
account around 1980, the NTIS (National Technical Information
Service) database was a frequent source, right along with INSPEC
and COMPENDEX. In those days it was a database exclusively of
government reports, including all final reports of federally funded
research.
In the days of the Web <http://www.ntis.gov/> has become a one-stop
gateway for all kinds of government documents. The new
<http://www.scitechresources.gov/> within it is more reminiscent of
the old online NTIS, but with some noteworthy new features. At any
of the "Browse by Topic" pages, e.g.
<http://www.scitechresources.gov/browse-98.htm>, the pulldown menue
for limiting the search has a "Resource for the Science-attentive
Citizen" choice. This is very appropriate for the kind of homework
that I often give in my courses, where I ask students to locate
material on particular subjects that could serve as reliable
perspective for citizens, the kind of "information-age" opportunity
the government often talks about but seldom provides.

All best,   --PJK