[EAS]Gargoyles on the Web

pjk pjk at design.eng.yale.edu
Tue Oct 30 21:01:00 EST 2001

Subject:   Gargoyles on the Web

No strong resonances this time with technology, education or
culture. Rather, my contribution to Halloween.

Denis Hsiung's "Les Gargouilles" website at
http://users.skynet.be/dhs/gargouilles/ provides a large collection
of close-up photographs of gargoyles from several cathedrals,
monuments, and other buildings in Belgium.

Sculptor and stone carver Walter S. Arnold carved dozens of
gargoyles for the National Cathedral in Washington, DC. His website
at http://www.stonecarver.com/ has links to examples of his work,
step-by-step photos showing how the carving is done using
traditional methods, a brief history of gargoyles, and a teacher's
guide. I was charmed by his comment "My sculpture is all Y2K
compliant. My gargoyles are also fully Y1K tested."

    --PJK