[EAS]Screw Standardization

pjk pjk at design.eng.yale.edu
Sat Jan 19 03:16:12 EST 2002

Subject:   Screw Standardization

I had to catch your attention somehow. No, not defiance against
standards, but screw threads as a historical case study in
standardization, with the protectionism of the custom-made opposed to
the 'slippery slope' of standardization, championed by the pioneering
machinist William Sellers.

<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/10.01/standards.html>

> The American machine-tool industry was to the second half of the 19th
> century what the computer and networking industry was to the second
> half of the 20th: the country's most important driver of technological
> innovation.

  --PJK