censorship cont....

John Dougill dougill at mbox.kyoto-inet.or.jp
Wed Dec 16 04:22:18 EST 1998

Max Bliven writes <upon being exposed to
>pornography I was again dumbfounded that the seemingly most pertinent
>actions/parts of the body were censored.>

You might be even more dumbfounded to learn that The Crying Game - whose
whole effect is centred upon one dramatic moment when full frontal nudity
reveals the girl to be a man - was also subjected to a major fuzzy going
over in the vital area, thus nullifying not only that particular scene but
the whole thrust of the movie, so to speak.

>Suddenly I became aware of why
>Japanese people are so messed up with sexual expression as a society.

This is news to me.  I've lived here for over ten years and found Japanese
to be far less messed up sexually than Western societies.  In fact their
lack of hang-ups is one of the joys of living here.  I wonder what gave you
this curious idea?

John Dougill
Kyoto