MISTY

Jasper Sharp j.sharp
Wed Dec 8 11:15:31 EST 1999

Just a further question -
So is Toyokawa Etsushi the long haired bandit character or the girl?
Or is the girl Yuki Amami?
Sorry, I haven't worked out the genders of Japanese names work yet!

		-----Original Message-----
		From:	Stephen Cremin [mailto:asianfilmlibrary at hotmail.com]
		Sent:	Tuesday, December 07, 1999 17:28
		To:	KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
		Subject:	Re: MISTY

		"MISTY" mentioned by Jasper has the same title in Japanese.
(Decide for
		yourself from the poster/titles whether the official title
is katakana or
		roman alphabet.)  Its a 1997 production by Amuse and
Nikkatsu, I think
		locally distributed by Gaga Communications.  To my knowledge
director
		Saegusa Kenki didn't work again in feature film.  At the
time, even within
		Japan, it was best noted for its glossy cinematography by
Shinoda Noboru,
		Iwai's regular DP, and for Heya Kyoko's production design.
Aren't Amuse
		primarily a talent agency packaging the likes of Tomita
Yasuko in "The
		Christ of Nanking" and "Kitchen" anyway?  (I get confused
over the
		connection with Amuse Video, for example, who seem to be
co-distributing
		"Shiri" with Cine Qua Non.)  For the record, script was by
Inoue Yumiko and
		music by Saegusa Shigeaki.  It was always acknowledged as an
Akutagawa
		Ryunosuke adaptation.  I haven't seen the film and must pick
up a subtitled
		HK VCD soon ... I'm quite fond of Toyokawa Etsushi, but
guessing that the
		film is bloody awful too.

		PS: "Flowers of Shanghai", officially a Japanese production,
has come out on
		DVD in Hong Kong with English subtitles ALLEGEDLY.  Same
goes for "Hypnosis"
		(Saimin).  VCDs of both only have Chinese subtitles.