Titanic, etc.

Bodo Sch=%ISO-8859-1?Q?=f6nfelder?= schoenfelder
Mon Jan 4 19:41:39 EST 1999

>Mark Schilling wrote on relative strength of British and French cinema
>(against Hollywood movies).  I'm curious if French cinema remains strong
>without governmental protection?  Will anyone explain?
>
>Marie Suzuki

Dear Marie,

without government production French cinema would loose some of it's
strength and some of it's audience, but would be comparatively strong.
During my visits from Germany to France I found and find a remarkable
vitality in the distribution circuits and on the exhibition side. Even
smaller towns with about 30 000 citizens have a rather high standard in
film programming. Of course the US mega films like Titanic draw the
biggest market share, but others do quite well. Of course, stars like Luc
besson and Gerard Depardieu help a lot to the French film production. But
there are other factors. In general film is considered as a necessary
part of daily culture and entertainment, an attitude, which can be seen
as part of a national ideology, like the the try to avoid or suppress
Enflish phrases in daily language. Even small newspapers, often local
ones in smaller towns, publish lengthy reviews and articles on film.
Commercial film centers and multiplexes screen a lot of art films. You
can find detailed programme brochures quite often. I was astonished how
many Asian films are screened without obvious reasons. In case of
Kurosawas death there were big retrospectives all over the country,
screening even the rather unknown early films. In Germany in most places
they only screened one to three films like Rashomon, Kagemusha or The
Seven Samurai. Friends of mine, living near the border to France have
most of their film experiences in France. ( They deal professionally with
film.)

Bodo Schoenfelder