FW: To Arron

stephen cremin asianfilmlibrary
Mon Jan 4 23:22:28 EST 1999

Again, regarding retitling of "Love Letter" in America.  As I've
previously posted, Japanese films entitled "Love Letter" caused no
problems for US distributor.  The only reason given was the stage
production, although that still doesn't explain why "When I Close My
Eyes" was chosen.  I don't think we'll ever find out which bright
spark in the marketing department settled on that title as nobody at
Rockwell Eyes (Iwai's production company) or Fuji TV has a clue.

To jog Alan Kita's memory, Japanese films with that title (in English,
hiragana or katakana) were made by Suzuki Seijun, Higashi Yoichi, Iwai
Shunji and, most recently, Morisaki Azuma.  And of course there are
many films entitled "Koibumi" (in kanji), including films directed by
Kumashiro Tatsumi and Tanaka Kinuyo.

Stephen Cremin
The Asian Fi