Films on TV in Japan and Asia

Stephen Cremin asianfilmlibrary
Fri Sep 3 23:31:59 EDT 1999

Could any satellite junkies in Japan fill us in on what's happening with
Japanese films on TV?  Flicking through Kinema Junpo I get the impression
that deals are being struck between the studios and satellite stations.
Much of this is presumably not available on videotape.

A couple of weeks ago, Arirang TV was launched.  I'm not sure if its
footprint covers Japan, the aim being to find an audience in India, China
and Indonesia.  Its a Korean initiative with all Korean programmes having
Englisha and Chinese subtitles.  Perhaps films too.  Out of curiosity, are
any universities recording this stuff as an archive?  (In the UK, Goldsmiths
seem to have done a deal with BBC2 and Channel4 which allows them to archive
films for their students.

Stephen Cremin
The Asian Film Library

PS: Josh, I'm sorry, Tony who?  Seriously, I'm not being critical of Tony as
much as those around him.  There needs to be diversity.  I do believe that
international sales of, for example, "Xiao Wu" and "Whispering Corridors"
were certainly damaged last year because the directors chose Vancouver over
other festivals.  But blame there lies with the sales agents and directors.
I don't think we can blame Tony for that 100%.  Similarly, if "Time Out",
"Sight and Sound", ICA and BFI are psycholically dependent on Tony then who
can we blame.  Danger in London of course is that now funding decisions have
been centralised by the BFI and when you get that rejection letter stating a
lack of confidence in your programming you begin to wonder where that
concept is coming from.  Anyway, there is a backlash against this
centralisation from the daily newspapers and letter pages of said magazines
so eventually this tide will grow and things will change.?@I'm just not
particularly patient.