ghost dog/crouching tiger hidden dragon

d. freire drainer at mpinet.net
Wed Feb 14 12:38:54 EST 2001

But the direction and cinematography of  "crouching tiger..." is so
Hollywood... almost like an American attempt at a Hong Kong film.
Even whatever was coherent of the plot also seemed like a formulaic approach
to Hollywood success. The end, however, distinguishes itself, with the
deaths and the assumption of guilt... where the viewer does not leave with
such a happy ending (but perhaps it is supposed to illicit some sort of
supernatural belief that dreams come true?)
 It did have some token distinctions that all kung fu movies have... (for
example, where people in the theater laughed while characters flew, etc...)
Of course, the filmmaker cannot take time to explain all Chinese myths
before screening a picture.
 It wasn't bad, maybe if I watch it again I will like it more. But I do feel
slightly disappointed... a similar story to Hong Kong movies, in parts; but
a production straight out of California.

-d.freire