Crouching Tiger and the asses in the theater

JERRY TURNER dr_pluto
Wed Feb 21 14:07:18 EST 2001

Thought I would jump on the wagon here. First let me
state I think CTHD is one of the most beautiful movies
I have ever seen. I also noticed quite a bit of
laughter during the film. The first 15 minutes of the
film 20 people walked out. "Don't nobody want to read
no writing." The thing is CTHD was not mentioned as a
subtitled movie. I didn't even know until about two
days before I went. Most Americans don't respond well
to subtitles. Everything should be catered to us
right?

The laughing:

Number one it pissed me off to no end. The part where
the young girl beats ass is funny, that I will admit.
I just didn't find the part with Chow and the girl
fighting in the trees funny. I really enjoyed the
quietness of it.

What people don't understand, including that lame dick
on the today show is the story is based on an almost
supernatural tale. A TALL tale. That's what I think
the flying represented.

I think as the result of the film's success more
martial arts films will probably be released in the
states with small popularity except among us Asian
film buffs. CTHD kinda had the Blair Witch syndrome.
Billed as the super scary movie, Blair Witch was
praised by the critics but 90 percent of the American
population didn't know what to make of it.

Bottom line, most people will continue to watch (I'm
gonna get blasted for this) marginally good martial
arts films like the Matrix (yes I know the same guy
did the fight scenes) because they "don't want to read
no pictures."