Crouching Tiger and the asses in the theater

Don Brown the8thsamurai
Thu Feb 22 10:11:45 EST 2001

>People in the UK and the US may blench at the thought of watching films in
>other languages, but for the rest of the world, its just a fact of life.
So
>the message is that if people would rather watch dross like THE MATRIX,
then
>let them, but if by watching films like CDHT (which incidentally, I liked
>but ultimately have seen far better films recently and couldn't see
anything
>so special about it) just a couple of people come to realise that there
are
>films being made elsewhere in the world other than California, then this
can
>only be a good thing.

Jasper, I hate to bring this up, but it seems that in every mail you write
(recently anyway), you manage to work in some disparaging comment about
"Hollywood dross" in one way or another.  Please excuse me if I'm
misinterpreting what you're saying, but it sounds as if you are a bit
preoccupied with this.
Film snobbery works both ways: some people exclusively watch American
product, others steer absolutely clear of it.  It doesn't matter about the
intrinsic quality of the film - the stigma attached to it being made in
"Hollywood" or "Not Hollywood" is enough to put off the closed-minded
filmgoer.  Personally, I think a good film is a good film, regardless of
the nationality.  And it's a totally subjective opinion as to what
qualifies it as such.  I'm no fan of the hegemonic nature of global film
distribution and the subsequent predomination of American product, but on
the other hand some of my favourite movies were made in Hollywood.  Does
that automatically make them dross?  I've seen plenty of Asian cinema in
the last twelve months that would easily fall into that category.  Does the
fact that a film doesn't come with a Made In America stamp somehow make it
more worthy?   It's hypocritical to encourage other people to broaden their
cinematic horizons while holding fast to your own prejudices.
Furthermore, I think your statement about English and Americans sticking
their noses up at foreign language cinema is a rash generalisation.  I know
plenty of people here in Japan who can't get enough of American cinema, but
have no time for indigenous or other non-American films.  The same goes for
back home in New Zealand, and probably (unjustifiable statement warning)
most other countries around the world.  The U.S. and the U.K. have no
monopoly on luddites.  They are a global industry.

>Lets hope its success means a
>lot more films from Asia finally get shown over this side of the world.

I sincerely hope so too, but I won't be holding my breath.  From a
commercial perspective, under the current filmgoing climate it's just not
viable.  Besides, it's always a real mission to see Japanese films these
days - and I live in Japan!
Don Brown