David Duncan neku78
Thu Feb 22 15:00:49 EST 2001

Short but Sweet,
     First off, I need to state that I am American and have been watching
subtitled fliks since I was about thirteen.  Thanks to Bruce Lee.  Not all
Americans have aversion to actual reading in a film, nor should all
Americans be grouped with the fanboys of droll like Armagedden or Godzilla.
Having stated that, "most" Americans DO NOT like subtitles.  There is a
certain conceitedness that some Americans have about foreign films.  SOME
Americans believe that all good film comes out of the US.  They are quite
wrong.  Some of the worst cinema comes out of the Hollywood formula.  I also
realize I am preaching to the choir here.  Any Americans recieving this mail
have already subscribed to a list involving and about Japanese cinema, and
so apparently have no problems with the subtitle thing.  I personally love
subtitles compared to the always terrible dubbing thing.  Of course there is
no anger here.  The comments about what stereotypical Americans like and
dislike is correct.
     On another note, some people have seen upset about the typical response
on CTHD from American audiences.  Whatever the response, the idea that any
asian film besides Jackie Chan would recieve such high comendation is
wonderful.  Who cares how its being recieved, all that matters to me is the
possibility Americans will open their minds a bit more to foreign film, and
Asian film in particular.  Who cares about intial reaction.
     Lastly, I am in dire need of finding some Japanese Samurai type movies.
  I looked these up on Amazon, but found no hits.  Kokushi muso, mito komon,
joi uchi, seppuku, mito komon, jikokumon, ansatsu, and tange sazen
hyakuman-ryo no tsubo.  I have some important research to finish and need
these films (or others) to finish it.  If anyone has ANY suggestion on where
I can find some of these it would be much appreciated.  VHS if possible or
DVD if thats the only thing I can find.  My sister has the DVD so its still
possible for me to see them that way.  Thank ya's, and happy days.
--it's great to see new subscribers! Write and contribute..
Neku...