Western film companies in Asia

Jasper Sharp j.sharp
Mon Feb 26 04:02:21 EST 2001

>AUDITION is coming out in London soon.  BATTLE ROYALE in a few months.
>TOKYO DECADENCE in perhaps June.  Korean film THE ISLE too.  But all of
>these films have something in common: they're all famous for their shock
>value.

I'm a little confused. I knew AUDITION was getting a release in London, and
am happy (and very surprised) that BATTLE ROYALE is, but TOKYO DECADENCE?
Are you talking about a theatrical release, or is this going on to video,
because its already about 8 years old.
Also, talking about releases in the UK is a little misleading when the
majority of Japanese films I saw whilst living in London where only screened
theatrically in the Institute of Contemporary Arts, a tiny cinema which has
a capacity of about 200 people maximum. This was the only venue where THE
RING, AUGUST IN THE WATER and PERFECT BLUE all played. The only other
Japanese films that came out in the UK at the same time which achieved a
broader release were SHALL WE DANCE and UNAGI.
So yes, its great that these films are getting theatrical releases in the
UK, but the scale of such releases is almost negligible. Kawaii sou. Thank
god for VCD.