Zatoichi...

Stephen Cremin asianfilmlibrary
Mon Jan 8 23:29:38 EST 2001

FIGHT, ZATOICHI, FIGHT ("Zatoichi kesshotabi"; as in "Zat?ichi kessh?tabi",
long "o" in both words), episode eight in the series, is indeed directed by
Misumi Kenji.  Tanaka did direct some episodes, specifically:

1963 ZATOICHI ENTERS AGAIN (Shin Zat?ichi monogatari)      [Episode  3]
1963 ZATOICHI, THE FUJITIVE (Zat?ichi ky?j?tabi)           [Episode  4]
1966 ZATOICHI'S SONG IS HEARD (Zat?ichi no uta ga kikoeru) [Episode 13]

All of the films have various English titles.  For example, Tanaka's 1966
episode is also known as THE BLIND SWORDSMAN'S VENGEANCE.  Take your pick.

Stephen Cremin

PS: Very impressed with Mark Schilling for coming out with his story of a
certain Japanese producer and that telephone call in the Japan Times today
in his review of PARTY 7.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?ff20010109a1.htm