Eureka and other novelizations

Aaron Gerow gerow
Tue Jan 9 00:34:17 EST 2001

The novelization of Eureka, penned by the director Aoyama Shinji, has
just been published by Kadokawa Shoten (ISBN: 4-04-873267-6; date:
2000.12; 1500 yen).  This, even though the film has yet to be released
(it will finally come out on January 20, it seems).  While it would be
interesting to talk about how a film that makes an issue of speech and
language is transposed into the written word, I was curious about the
phenomenon of directors writing the novelization of their own films.

Novelizations are, of course, not new, but I wonder how many cases there
are of the director him or herself penning the book.  Maybe some use
ghost writers, but I know Aoyama did not, nor did Kawase Naomi, who wrote
the novelization of Moe no Suzaku (available from Gentosha, 1997; ISBN:
4-87728-188-6; 1300 yen), and is currently finishing up the book of her
as-yet-to-be-released Hotaru.  It seems Kurosawa Kiyoshi also wrote the
novelization for Cure (for Tokuma Shoten), and Koreeda Hirokazu for After
Life (for Hayakawa Shobo).

First, can anyone think of other cases where Japanese directors wrote the
novel-version of their own film?

Second, is this a phenomenon visible in other national cinemas?  What are
some other examples?

Aaron Gerow
Yokohama National University
KineJapan list owner
For list commands: send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html