Eureka and other novelizations

Stephen Cremin asianfilmlibrary
Tue Jan 9 02:05:19 EST 2001

And, Aaron, don't forget your favourite Japanese auteur, Iwai Shunji, who
wrote LOVE LETTER and SWALLOWTAIL BUTTERFLY as novels.  I think for Iwai the
case is different in that he often approaches his films in different forms
before tackling them on the screen: UNDO was a photo-novel, LOVE LETTER was
a manga he drew as well as wrote.  That also leaves works that never got
funded realised as novels, such as GARDEN GUARD GUARDS which he at one point
considered making as a stop-motion animation.  Not sure if LOVE LETTER and
SWALLOWTAIL BUTTERFLY were written before or after the film was made.

Another example that comes to mind is Iida Joji (aka George Iida) for his
ANOTHER HEAVEN.  Here of course the clear connection is Kadokawa Shoten and
I guess the uniqueness of the Japanese system - as far as I can tell - has
much to do with cross-media ownership in Japan.

Stephen Cremin