Kyoshi Kurosawa's KAÏRO review

Christophe CRISON ccrison
Sun May 27 03:42:41 EDT 2001

I had great expectations regarding Kurosawa's new film since I value very
much his previous movies (at least the ones that we were able to see).

The movie did not create much buzz in Cannes, but if you want my opinion it
is not necessarily bad news : I consider this year's Palme D'or (Moretti's)
as a maudlin drama that will surely pleasee viewers that are unfamiliar with
so called auteur films...

Anyway, KA?RO pleased me very much, even if it an uneven film and not as
perfect as CURE.

For french people, it is pretty odd to see that movie just a month after
RING, and the parallel is evident. KUROSAWA acknowledge in an interview that
his project was older and he had the opportunity to discuss his movie with
fellow director of RING. So it's hard to know who copied who...

I found KA?RO far superior because of its visual power and moral
implications (even if the "message" is sometimes too heavy). Long after
viewing the movie, images stays in your mind such as the ghosts, desert
town, and faces of fear.

The movie is clearly aimed at young adult audience, but Kurosawa managed to
avoid pitfalls of the genr. Cast is convincing and soundtrack is impressive.
Unfortunately, sometimes the movie lacks pace and is a little repeatitive.

I would be happy to discuss with anyone about this film.

Christophe