Not Forgotten

Don Brown the8thsamurai at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 5 21:33:02 EST 2001

For a film that painted a fairly nasty picture of war and the effect it has
on those involved, it was rather contradictory to resolve the story with an
act of swift and shocking violence, and a heroic one at that.  As Tom Mes
said in his review on Midnight Eye, the introduction of the Utopia
corporation was highly fictional and I did think it jarred with the
leisurely matter-of-fact depiction of the main trio of protagonists.
Perhaps there was a message within equating the mind control of Japanese
militarism with cult/corporate fervour, but that was confused by the
non-judgemental treatment of the soldiers themselves.  There were many
different ideas and subplots straining for attention, perhaps to the
detriment of the film's overall balance, but the charm and nobility of the
lead actors did much to compensate.  I can't recall many recent movies that
have given us such sympathetic and moving characters, and male ones at
that.  I'm in agreement with Kurosawa Kiyoshi that this is the best film of
the year so far, with Firefly Dreams and Electric Dragon 80000 in close
contention.
  That brings me to another question: what was the worst Japanese film you
saw this year?
Don Brown