Imamura's Warm Water Under a Red Bridge

Arnold M ma_iku
Mon Nov 5 20:23:33 EST 2001

>From: "Don Brown" <the8thsamurai at hotmail.com>

>despite Mike's eloquent defense of the film the subject matter still
appears
>to be the creation of a repressed middle-aged (male) imagination.

I skimmed the review in the new Eiga Geijutsu and it seemed to take it that
way as well; it was an issue of whether or not the director could 'get it
up'.  I don't really mean to defend the film, and when I sit back and
casually think about it I still might agree with some of the negative
impressions) while watching and I'm not content to say it was obviously
only sexist or it only tried to make women's sexuality look male etc. and
just leave it at that.  Relatively speaking, I thought it packed many times
the "feminism" as something like Freeze Me, which gave us a male-oriented
sexploitation film while hiding behind a story supposedly about a "strong
woman".  Did anyone get a different impression?  (Then again--and please
correct me if my memory is off--I think Freeze Me got several positive
comments in a previous Eiga Geijutsu.)

I might go out to see Shinozaki's film if it's still playing (but a 9:25
morning show in Shinjuku is so early!).  I'm still hoping to go the
boid.net discussion on the 24th so I want to learn a little more about the
director beforehand.  The last thing that got my tear ducts working... was
probably Naruse's "Mother".  ;-)

By the way, I rented Gakko no Kaidan G again last weekend.  The Kurosawa
short, Kodama, certainly fits right into his style.  If you can find it I'd
recommend it to the Kurosawa Kiyoshi fans here.

Michael Arnold