Just who is Haruo Mizuno / Mike Mizuno

Aaron Gerow gerow at ynu.ac.jp
Sun Apr 14 22:35:29 EDT 2002

>and what is SIBERIAN EXPRESS (Shiberia chotokkyu)?  I saw it this week
>and not sure if it's junk, some sort of elaborate joke...or maybe both.
>The guy has since fashioned 2 sequels and Tower in Sibuya are selling
>t-shirts. What's it all about???

Mizuno Haruo is a long-standing film critic, most famous for being one of
those "film introducers" on TV. He is very much a "popular" film critic
who concentrates on Hollywood films. What one can say about his two
ventures into directing depends on your position, but it does raise
certain questions. I recall one eminent Japan studies scholar saying
there is no camp in Japan. I disagree, and perhaps Siberian Express is a
case to prove this wrong. Or perhaps not?

Aaron Gerow
Yokohama National University
KineJapan list owner
For list commands: send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html