GO

Brian Dunn b1dunn
Thu Feb 7 21:52:54 EST 2002

I just reinstated my subscription a few days ago, so I don't know if "GO"
has been discussed or to what extent.  But I wrote something for a few
other mailing lists I'm on about the movie and its recent success, so I
thought I'd share it here too.

And if it hasn't been discussed much, I'd be interested in seeing what
people think about it.  I haven't seen it yet, but I read the book last
year and loved it, and got very excited when I found out it was being
turned into a movie.

(post is below my signature)

Brian Dunn

************************
b1dunn at hotmail.com
University of Washington
Dept. of Asian Languages and Literature
Japanese Literature, Senior
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pure-japanese-rock

****

The movie "GO," based on the award winning and controversial debut novel by

Kazuki Kaneshiro, a semi-autobiographical account of a teenage boy's
experience as a Zainichi (zainichi kankokujin - Korean resident of Japan),
is headed towards getting an academy award nomination. The movie, starring
risings stars Kubozuke Yousuke (Oboreru Sakana) and Shibasaki Kou (Battle
Royale) and adapted to a screenplay by Miyafuji Kankurou (known for his
adaptation of the novel Ikebukuro West Gate Park into the much talked about

TV drama starring among others, Kubozuke ), won the FIPRESCI International
Film Critics Association Award at the Palm Springs International Film
Festival. This Festival is known for being where the contestants for the
nominees for the Academy Awards International Film Award are shown, and
having snatched the highest honor at the Festival things are looking good
for this film. GO will also be shown at the 52nd Annual Berlin
International Film Festival going on February 6 to the 17th in the
"Panorama" category. Not only is this great news because it is a Japanese
film, but the subject matter, racism and stereotypes against Koreans in
Japan and the romance between two high-schoolers, a Zainichi and a
Japanese, makes it something special. After last year's win by "Crouching
Tiger, Hidden Dragon," seeing a Japanese film, and one of this caliber at
that, win top honors should make us all proud.

Check out the website here, complete with streaming movie previews:
http://www.go-toei.com/
(note: HTML version has more movie clips and some poster pics)

Just to add to that, GO has won top honors all over Japan, best movie,
screenplay, director, (new/debut) actor (Kubozuke Yousuke) and supporing
actress (Shibasaki Kou), you name it.... And at the Palm Spring Internat'l
Film Festival it beat out 41 other entries, and set a record for 7 awards
from Kinema Junpo, the film magazine authority in Japan.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being the biggest Japanese movie
ever, in terms of international praise and recognition, with things looking

bright for the Academy Awards Foreign Film award and all...

>From the website (note that the 25th Annual Japan Academy Awards Winners
won't be announced until March and that portion of the list is the
nominees):

?????2001???????????

?????

?16??????