Fwd: Cinema as Vernacular Modernism Symposium

Ono Seiko and Aaron Gerow onogerow
Tue May 14 21:29:27 EDT 2002

Sorry for not answering these questions earlier.

>I was wondering how (since you wrote that you have been using the concept of
>vernacular
>modernism in relation to Japan) that would look (specifically in Cinema, of
>course) in a country
>that probably has a very specific relationship to modernism- Japan hasn't
>exactly gone through
>the struggles and stages that made Europe and America reach modernism in the
>same
>chronology, so I would suppose there is a very specific brand of modernism,
>or a different
>relationship towards it...
>Is that right, and how does that effect the use of the concept of vernacular
>modernism?

I'll have to be brief, but I'll try to say a few things about how the
concept is interesting to me in my study of Japanese cinema. Others may
see the concept differently or use it in other ways, but they can speak
for themselves.

First, in terms of Japan studies as a whole, it helps us find a way out
of the restricting modern=West vs. tradition=Japan binary, by incribing
modernities into a global/local nexus of negotiation and shifting
positionality. The narration of the nation in Japan has frequently
included an assumption that modernity is the West in order to construct a
Japan that predates that (the traditional) or is ahistorical (modernity
itself being a temporal phenomenon). Some scholars have rightly noted the
unequal power relations in global cultural flows that do often connect
modernization with Western imperial advances, but there was always the
danger such a critique would reify a pure Japan as a victim of such
advances. The conception of the vernacularity of modernity allows us to
account for the very real "modern" aspects of Japan (and certain
similarities with theorizations of modernity in the West) without
reducing it to imperialism or a mere surface that doesn't touch the
Japanese heart. In other words, we can investigate modernity in Japan as
being the complex product of negotiation, translation and local
production, something which allows us to focus on historical
specificities instead of reducing Japan to the mold of universal
modernity or ahistorical tradition. It also moves us away from the Japan
vs. West opposition and allows us to focus more on conflicts in Japan
over which modernity to construct.

Second, in film studies, it allows us to consider the influence of
Hollywood cinema in a much more fruitful manner. The term modern has been
too loosely used in studies of Japanese film (e.g., the early Bordwell
claim of Ozu being a modernist), a problem often overlapping with simple
divisions between Japan and the West, the modern and the traditional. For
instance, in the difference of opinion between Burch and Bordwell over
prewar Japanese film, I would tend to side with Bordwell in critiquing
Burch's utopian desire for the preservation of a premodern--almost
anti-Western--Japanese tradition in cinema. The fact is there are too
many classical elements to prewar Japanese film style, the result of very
real and sometimes brutal historical transformations from the 1910s to
the 1940s. But Bordwell too readily ascribes these classical-looking
elements to a universal mode, applicable unproblematically to Japan,
against which difference becomes mere "flourish." In other words, a
universal Hollywood so becomes his point of reference, he misses the
other, sometimes local reference points for negotiating film practice. In
particular, the concept prompts us to focus more on the process of
reception as translation (for instance, not simply looking at the
influence of Hollywood films, but actually investigating how they were
read). In sum, I am interested in prewar Japanese cinema as neither
Western=Japan or Japanese=traditional, but as a complex struggle in the
realms of production and reception over alternative modernities in the
global/local nexus.

Perhaps others have some opinions on this.