self-introduction (subtitling technologies)

Michael Raine mjraine at uchicago.edu
Wed Aug 20 03:08:22 EDT 2003

Hello Najib,

We're setting up some pages on the Kinema Club (kurabu) web site to discuss
the many possibilities in this area. At the very least, you should be able
to learn how to make your own subtitles and swap the scripts with other
people. It should be ready in a month or so. If you can't wait, you can find
a lot of information on how to add subtitles to video on the forums at
www.doom9.org. DVDsubber is a less invasive program. You can download
various versions at www.dvdsubber.com. Programs such as SubStationAlpha and
SubStationC are also useful for creating subtitles to accompany projections.

Speaking of subtitles, does anyone know how many of the complete works of
Ozu coming out on DVD in Japan (with Japanese subtitles) will be released
with in the US with English subtitles?

Michael