Solitude Point

keiko keiko+ at pitt.edu
Mon Feb 24 04:09:31 EST 2003

The film "Yukie" (1997),directed by Hisako Matsui,is drama bout Alzheimer's
Disease.  It was Matsui's first feature-length film based on Haruhiko
Yoshimeki's novel, "Sekiryo koya" (Solitude Point).
"Yukie" won a number of awards at the 1997 Film Festival sponsored by the
Association of Japanese Film Producers.  Among them was the prize for best
film by a new director.
For an analysis of this film, see my article, "A Woman Director¹s Rising
Star: The First Two Films of Hisako Matsui (b. 1946)" It will appear in the
fall issue of "Asian Cinema."
                        Keiko McDonald