Film/Anime Criticism/Theory

Sarah Frederick sfred
Wed Feb 12 14:09:05 EST 2003

There are some interesting essays by Miyadai Shinji about manga and anime in terms of contemporary society, politics and media.  For example, one book I picked up was a collection of his commentaries in the late 1990s called "Enkou kara tennou he" and includes a discussion of Miyazaki Hayao's Umi ga kikoeru that's of reasonable length.  There's another book called Subculture Shinwa Kaitai.  He's writing is fairly difficult in being sarcastic and playful but intended for a "general" audience.

Sarah

--
Sarah Frederick
Assistant Professor of Japanese

****Office Hours Spring 2003: MW 2-3; F 11-12****

Dept. of Modern Foreign Languages and Literatures
Boston University
718 Commonwealth Avenue, 301D
Boston, MA 02215

Phone: 1-617-353-6232