Nikkatsu dvd recommendations

Steve LaRocque stevel at trifin.com
Tue Nov 18 13:09:43 EST 2003

While I would like to see Seijun Suzuki films and perhaps some of their
Fukasaku titles, it might be difficult to market them. I don't know the
Nikkatsu catalogue too well because it seems that Toho, Daiei and
Shochiku had the best films with Toei and Nikkatsu being the rump end of
the Japanese studio system.

My thinking is more along the lines of independent DVD companies which
have a difficult time selling their films so most of sub-lines which
sell pornography, gay cinema, animation etc. which I think generate the
profits for the label. Take for example, Mongrel Media, First Run Films
etc. which all do this. So I think your friend should emulate these
labels instead is Criterion, Kino or New Yorker which have good
reputations and don't need to finance their labels through other
markets.

Even Fantoma www.fantoma.com seems to have built their catalogue of
Yasuzo Masamura and Fassbinder films from the junk cinema on their web
page.

So I would recommend perhaps that your friend licenses some of the Roman
Porno from Nikkatsu to allow him to make enough money to release the
good stuff under a separate line, else he/she can lose too much money.
Unfornately, the video and DVD markets have a history of many ambitious
labels which didn't last which had great goals and product because of
the business side of things.

Wish him luck and I'll buy any quality films that are released.

Stephen LaRocque