Lost in Translation - Objective or Subjective

zaki jaihutan zaki.j
Wed Apr 7 07:09:53 EDT 2004

Maybe i'm a bit late in the heated debate, but cannot
help to chip in.

I'm not gonna start with 'people who like LOT are
people who...' or 'people who dislike LOT are people
who...' type of thing, because i find it difficult to
define certain people even for a specific film.

Reading some of the 'hateful' argument toward LOT (not
all, some are quite cold-headed argument i grant
that)is like reading a 'strong critic' from a pious
person to Sinead O Connor's 'not too religious'lyric.

And that's the difficult thing here...i find it hard to
comment an opinion, where the opinion are based on
personal reason. We're not exactly that person, and
therefore i found it unwise to start debating from the
basis of personal feeling. Not to mention, it is one's
right to be subjective on a movie, because movie are
suppose to be a subjective enjoyment, it's not an
objective thesis or scientific writing...you can say
'shitty' to any movie with the most inane reason
('Geez...I don't like Bill Murray's smile' 'Gosh ther's
no violence in that movie...' etc etc), even to a movie
with very 'smart movie (ever heard someone saying 'this
movie is too "clever", what the hell does it trying to
say ?') and i don't think we can really comment on that.

Actually, that is the reason why someone need to state
its reason for enjoying or disliking a movie, so that
people can judge whether they share the same 'feeling'.
The discussion on a certain movie, should be meant to
share this understanding, without any personal grudge
(again...film are subjective enjoyment...stop treating
it like a 'strict' science writing).

As to LOT and its level of 'misjudging' to Japan
society, must admit it's hard for me to say..and it's
not fair for me to say it since the one who has to
judge it are Japanese people themselves. But as stricly
movie...i can't help but say that it is a good movie.
I'm not sure whether Miss Coppole has use an 'honest'
eye, at least from a foreigner eye, which makes her for
a certain people are a very 'misjudging' kind of
person, or she intentionally creates it for a 'mere
laugh', which for some people are a very stupid choice
since there should be a subtler way to show it.

Zaki